What is information security technology? If you are interested in this study, do not hesitate to read this. You can get more information from this article.
What Is Information Security Technology?
Information security technology is a branch of computer science that deals. Also, it is with the software development, design, management, and protection of electronic data.
The goal of information security technology is to protect information. It is from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction. Also, the field includes both the prevention of unauthorized use of information systems and the protection of the information on those systems.
There are many information security technologies. The most important ones are:
- Cryptography: It is a method to protect information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction.
- Auditing and monitoring: It is an evaluation and tracking of access to information or resources.
- Access control: It is a mechanism for controlling who can access what data in a computer system.
- Firewall: A firewall is a software and/or hardware system that monitors and controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined rules.
- Risk management: It is a process to identify and quantify risks, determine the probability of occurrence, identify options to reduce risks to acceptable levels, and monitor the effectiveness of the options implemented.
- Encryption: Encryption is a way to protect information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction.
- Digital signature: It is a way to ensure that information comes from a trusted source and has not been altered.
- Intrusion prevention system: It is a computer system or application software that monitors activity on a computer network and detects unusual activity that may indicate a security breach.
- Intrusion detection system: It is an automated system to detect unauthorized or malicious activities on a computer network.
- Access control list: It is used to define which users have access to specific files and directories in a computer system.
Software development is the process of designing and coding software. To develop software in information security technology, it should be secure.
Security should be considered in every step of software development. In the following procedure, we will describe the process of developing secure software in information security technology.
1) Specify the security requirements
The first step of developing secure software is to specify the security requirements. So, this step aims to determine what to protect, what unauthorized users might do, and how to protect information from those unauthorized users.
2) Design and code software
In this phase, you have to develop algorithms and data structures that support the software’s functionality. You have to code them. When you write codes, you have to consider security. You have to avoid vulnerabilities in your codes. This step aims to make sure that the software works as per the requirements.
3) Test and evaluate software
In this step, you have to test the software. You have to access it from different points of view and make sure it works as per requirements.
4) Implement and monitor software
Implementing is the final step of developing software. During this phase, a system administrator installs the software in a computer server, configures it, and makes sure that it works as per requirements.
5) Adopt and maintain software
During the implementation phase, you have to make sure that the software is secure. You have to adopt and maintain it. You have to make sure that it works without any bugs and vulnerabilities. Also, you have to make sure that it is updated with the latest security patches.
Information security technology is an interesting field. So, it is a combination of computer science, software development, and management.