Let us discuss the following elements of the information security policy. Also, know the brief meaning of the elements.
Elements Of An Information Security Policy
When we say a security policy. It can be as broad as what you think of it.
So, it would be everything related to information technology security. And also, the security that related physical assets.
But security policy is enforceable in its full scope. There are six elements of information security policy.
So when developing it, we have to offer some important consideration. This is the following list.
So what is the purpose? Yes, the first state is the purpose of the policy which is:
- Detect and preempt the breaches of information security such as the networks, data, application, and computer systems.
- Creating an overall approach to information security
- Respect customer rights, which include how to react to inquiries and complaints about non-compliance
- Maintaining the reputation of the organization, and uphold ethical and legal responsibilities
Information Security Objectives
Yes, it’s important that has an objective. So we need to guide the management team.
So they need to agree on well-defined objectives for the strategy and security. Let’s focus on the three main objectives
- Integrity – so data should be intact, accurate, complete, and IT systems must be kept operational
- Availability – the users should be able to access information or system when needed
- Confidentiality – only individuals with authorization can access data and information assets
We need the audience. Yes, define the audience to whom the information security policy applies.
So we may also specify which audience is out of the scope of the policy.
Authority And Access Control Policy
We need to have the arranging pattern. Because we need to know who has the authority to decide which data can be shared.
We can choose the senior manager or junior employee. But of course, we need to choose the senior manager.
So the policy should outline the level of authority. Which the over data and IT systems have each role of the organization.
Also, we need a network security policy. So only users are allowed to access company networks and servers.
They can access it via unique logins. That demand the following:
- ID cards
So they can monitor all systems and record. And all login attempts.
Security Awareness And Behavior
How to do it? You need to share IT security policies with your staff.
Then you need to conduct training sessions to inform employees of your security methods and tools. That includes the following:
- data protection measures
- sensitive data classification
- access protection measures
Also, we need social engineering. They can place a special emphasis on the dangers of social engineering attacks
The clean desk policy is important because it can secure laptops with a cable lock. They can keep the printing area clean so the document does not fall into the wrong hands.
Responsibilities, Rights, And Duties Of Personnel
So when you appoint a staff to carry out the user. You need the following:
- access reviews
- change management
- incident management
- periodic updates of the security policy
Responsibilities should be clearly defined as part of the security policy.