Learn the following threats in your information security. Also, know what harm they can bring to your company?
Definition Of Threats In Information Security
So first, before we discuss the different threats in information security we will define them separately.
Information security points to the process or methods. It is for protecting the following of your data information:
Protecting your data information from the following:
- unauthorized access
- possible leakage or breaches of important assets information
- and also modification
However, in information security, there are a lot of threats. Threats that can be started from the following:
- software or hardware attacks
- identity theft
- information extortion
Moreover, these threats can be anything that can be taken advantage of by cybercriminals.
So we will consider some of the threats that you should avoid. Also, things to do in overcoming it.
The List Of Threats In Information Security
The threats that we will discuss one by one are the following:
- Insider threats
- Viruses and worms
- Phishing attacks
Insider threats happen if someone unauthorized close to your company has access to your data information. Also, unintentionally misuse access and bring a negative result.
To prevent this kind of scenario you can do the following:
- limit the employees with access to crucial data,
- train your staff to contractors on security awareness,
- also, train them in what is malicious insider threat can result to,
- have an employee to monitor the software.
It will lessen the possible risk from data breaches brought by insider attacks.
Viruses and worms
Viruses and worms are also malicious software. It targets to destroy the following of your company:
Moreover, a computer worm is a self-replicating program. So it does not need to copy itself to host a program.
Neither it needs to require human interaction to develop. Actually, its major purpose is to damage computers.
To prevent the worms from your computers, you may install an antivirus and also antimalware software. Also, update it consistently.
Moreover, training users not to do the following:
- downloading attachments
- clicking the link in the emails especially, if it from an anonymous sender
- downloading the free software from an untrusted website.
Also, note to self: users should also be keen on using the P2P file sharing.
Botnets are a set of internet-connected devices. It includes the following:
- Mobile devices
- IoT devices
Usually, the botnet malware searches for the weak across the internet. Then they will infect the many devices on the internet.
Preventing the botnet by doing the following:
- monitor the performance of your network, also the activity to recognize any irregular action,
- up to date the operating systems
- use the anti-botnet tools, it will help as the blocker of bot viruses.
- train the user not to engage in any possible actions that could bring risk
Phishing attacks are breaking normal security methods. Also, compromising confidential information.
It covers the following:
- login credentials
- social security numbers
- credit card information
To prevent being a victim of phishing, you start training the users. Training the not to do the following:
- downloading attachment
- clicking any links in the emails
- downloading the free software from untrusted websites