What are the most common information security threats for IT teams? And how can you prevent them?
Most businesses and companies rely on modern technology today. Moreover, criminals take advantage of that. Thus, protecting information is now a challenge.
Here are the top information security threats today.
Insider threats are the unauthorized access of someone inside an organization. It will also harm the network and systems of an organization.
Moreover, the common cause for this is the careless employees. They may leak a customer’s data to others. Also, they may click on phishing links.
Additionally, the common source of insider threats is the business partners and third-party vendors. They may bypass the security methods of a company.
So, how can you prevent these types of threats? Here are some tips:
- Do not give access to those who are not allowed.
- Train employees about security awareness.
- Set up two-factor authentication.
- Install employee monitoring app on your employees’ computers.
Viruses and worms
Viruses and worms are dangerous to your systems, data, and network. Once it infects your computer, your data can be stolen.
Then, how can you prevent viruses and worms? Here are some tips:
- Install anti-virus and anti-malware applications.
- Keep your software updated.
- Train your employees to avoid malicious websites.
- Avoid clicking ads from file-sharing services.
A botnet is a collection of devices. It also infects devices using the hidden tasks of your device.
Moreover, it usually comes from spam emails and click-fraud ads.
Thus, how can you prevent botnets? Here are some tips:
- Monitor your network activities.
- Keep your operating system updated.
- Install security patches of your software.
- Avoid downloading files from malicious sites.
- Apply anti-botnet tools.
- Put up your firewall.
Phishing attacks are a threat that steals your information. It can also steal the following private data:
- login details
- credit card information
- social security numbers
Moreover, hackers usually send fake emails. They also pretend that they come from Paypal or even the court.
Also, phishing attacks may install harmful apps on your computer. It may even give access to hackers.
How, then, can you prevent these types of security threats? Here are some tips:
- Do not download suspicious attachments.
- Do not click links on emails from a sender you don’t know.
- Avoid downloading free apps from untrusted websites.
Denial-of-service (Dos) attacks
Denial-of-service attacks target your server or network. These flood of attacks will also cause your system to slow down or crash. Thus, it denies you from accessing your system.
So, how can you prevent this type of information security threat? Here are some tips:
- Set up apps that monitor your network.
- Update your firewall.
- Patch up your network security apps.
- Apply protocols when Dos happens.
Ransomware is a type of malware that locks your computer. It then keeps you from using your own device. You can also get access by giving a ransom to the hacker.
Moreover, this type of threat is spread in emails and apps. It can also be from infected hard drives or websites.
So, how can you prevent ransomware? Here are some tips:
- Back up your data regularly.
- Avoid clicking on suspicious links.
- Do not download attachments from unknown senders.